Friday, February 20, 2009

Always Report Dog Bites! It's your Responsibility!


Speaking as a dog bite victim, it is VERY important to report a dog bite to the proper authorities it be Police, Sheriff, or Animal Control. The important thing to to get it Documented! In so many communities there seems to be a system where the 1st bite is free! And if you happen to be on the owner's property, WELL, OF COURSE IT MUST HAVE BEEN YOUR FAULT! And most popular excuse ever, I HAD NO IDEA FLUFFY WOULD EVER TEAR SOMEONES HAND OFF! SHE HAS NEVER DONE THAT BEFORE. Try to stay calm when talking to authorities when your in a lot of pain it's easy to do a lot of rambling and emotional chatter. Ask questions if they do not tell you what is happening. You HAVE the right to know.

Prompt Attention and treatment of dog bites is the best defence against bite susceptible to many different antibiotics, but if treatment is delayed too long, the damage to the body may be too severe for the patient to survive.

Dog Bite Septicemia-Capnocytophaga canimorsus

Dog bit septicemia is a much less familiar condition than Cat Scratch Fever. It is equally if not more serious when it occure. The infection )caused by the bacterium Capnocytophaga canimorsus) is typically transmitted by dog bites, and causes an infection of the bloodstream, resulting in a very serious body-wide illness. the bacteria can also cause other types of infection including meningitis, endocarditis (Infection of the heart valves) and rarely ocular infections. One study reported 16 % of dogs carried C. canimorsus as part of the normal bacteria in their mouths. Compared to the number of dog bites that occur, C. canimorsis infection is relative uncommon. Most of the people affected by this bacteria have some kind of predisposing factor, particularly having had their splen removed, having a weakened immune system, or being an alcoholic or Diabetic.Septicemia with C. canimorsus if FATAL is approximately 1/3 cases.

ALL BITE WOUNDS SHOULD BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY, and immediately washed thorughly with lots of soap and water. CONSULT A PHYSICIAN for any bite on the hand, over a joint or tendon sheath (such as on the wrist or ankle), over any kind of implant or prosthesis, or in the groin area.

You need to know:

  1. Description of the dog. Color, collar, tags etc.

  2. Where does the animal reside and who is the owner if known.

  3. Is the Animal current on vaccinations.

Other things that might be helpful:

  1. Seek medical attention if necessary. If you do go to a clinic or hospital some facilities have forms they fax to Authorities, ask for copies of those forms. As well as medical notes.

  2. Collect names of any witnesses that may have seen what happened.

  3. As soon as possible make a few notes on what happened for your future reference.

  4. Take photographs of the injuries as soon as possible, as well as the area in which the attack happened. Save torn clothing!

  5. Collect any reports from Animal control about the incident.

Any dog can seem like the cutest little thing and then turn around and chew off parts of your body! And then the owner looks at you like you have a 3rd eye wondering what YOU did to his dog.


Remember this dog is a loved one to it's owner so don't be surprised If things get said that are not true. I learned the hard way. I picked up the reports of my dog bite incidents and there on the report were things I honestly did not say! Their dog destroyed 3 of my hens that I raised from chicks! I saw this dog in the back of a truck and followed it home. I tried to tell the owners who live here in dogbite, Montana what their dog did. While I was talking to the owner I was bitten in the hand after the dog jumped up on my minivan puncturing and cutting my left hand (as you can see in the picture on this post). Then the owner turns around and says to Animal Control I stuck my arm out the window and called his dog after he told me the dog was very protective of it's property. I am a Diabetic and well aware of the complications from a situation such as this. We live in a rural community where there are lots of livestock, what is wrong with people who have dogs like this right in the middle of cow country. And the guys wife is a Brand Inspector. Wouldn't you think they could be a little more responsible? I got a shotgun just waiting for this fellar!

Like I said the owners will lie to protect their dog, leaving you on your own to defend yourself. So, try to stay calm, collect your evidence, and always report the attack to authorities. As a responsible citizen it is your duty to help keep the environment safe for our children and older folks and even our companion animals.

4 comments:

  1. Great Article good advise. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your advise and wonderful links. Now, If I am bit by a dog or other animal I will have some idea of what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My experience with dogs has been that when I got bit I was "invading" an "unknown-to-me" dog's "personal territory" or "envelope". I have only met ONE truly vicious dog in my life and I walked past him to knock on his owner's door. And pet him on the way through. The owner, of course, TOLD me he was vicious and was totally mystified I got to the door "unbitten".
    NOW; as either the most highly evolved species OR God's grandest "living" creation (barring angels?), people should be careful enough to realize that dogs do, by nature, what they have always done; protect the "den" and protect "the pack". Fed Ex employees, for example, SOLIDLY KNOW how to deal with strange dogs. And one sure rule is to not wave your hands around in front of a strange dog or stick your hands toward their face until THEY fully trust YOU. I am, of course, sure you didn't mean any harm, even in this emotionally charged situation. The dog misjudged your intent. I AM sorry for the bite you got AND sorry for the chickens. From personal experience, I KNOW even little bites that swell can seem HUGE when you are the "bitee", not the "biter". On another thought; Maybe a chicken coop is a logical "fix"? There have GOT to be other critters around than the neighbor's dog (coyotes, owls, cougars, wolves, hawks, foxes, etc. This IS Montana!). And, no, I am not saying the dog should be allowed to roam. Even though this was an emotional issue for you, I think EVERYONE reading this blog ought to take a moment to consider how to avoid testing a dog's nature. We are, after all, the crowning glory of wisdom. And, yeah, if the dog's owner hasn't figured it out yet, there is no reason to NOT "drop" the dog as a "repeat offender" ON YOUR OWN property, if it comes back, IMHO. After all, it IS Montana. (3 S's) My closest neighbor told me he would "drop" my dog if it "came back". You see, I got rid of my OWN dog (a "chicken killer") a couple years back because I couldn't "break" him. He hated the neighbor's roosters because they woke us all up at all hours of the night. I ought to invent a "rooster muzzle". THEN all chicken owners could force chickens to wear them so that they will NOT act within THEIR nature's and "cluck" and "crow"??? Oh, yeah; I gave the dog to a daughter "way over" on the other side of town. The neighbor and I had a good talk and he found out that foxes and ANOTHER neighbor's dog also were after his birds. ***He built a coop*** When my neighbor came to my house to let me know the dog was killing his chickens, as always when he visits, he was very polite despite his agitation and kept his hands in his pockets or at his sides. He was, at that point, after all, on MY property. We worked it out with a "cash exchange" and a wave goodbye. I AM curious?? People have the little finger NEXT to the ring finger, then the thumb on the opposite side from the little finger. And if the person in the picture wears their watch "up" and that is the BACK of their hand (not the palm), that picture is of a different bite than the one described above. The bite in the photo is on the RIGHT? hand. The angle of the bite is likely parallel to the ground (if the dog is a "jumper"), implying that the right hand of Whoever's hand IS in the picture was reaching out at something. You should post the picture of the bite sustained to your LEFT hand. And, yes, everyone; be sure to accurately get your facts correct when reporting dog issues to the authorities. Good website, by the way. I hope you keep my advice posted on how to act around strange dogs posted here, so people not as understanding of a strange dog's nature as you and me can take advantage of my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This picture is of my own personal injury. I am in front of a mirror at a Wendy's restaurant, in the restroom. I'm taking a picture of my left hand's reflection in the mirror. It was the only way to photograph my injury by myself.

    ReplyDelete